A listing of honors and awards conferred by the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
|Award||Citation Materials||Candidates Selected by|
|Alfred E. Alquist Special Recognition Medal||
|Bruce Bolt Medal||
|Joint EERI-COSMOS-SSA Panel|
|Distinguished Lecture Award||
|George W. Housner Medal||
|Outstanding Paper Award (Earthquake Spectra)||
|Shah Family Innovation Prize||
|Shah Family Innovation Prize Committee|
|William B. Joyner Lecture Award||
|Joyner Committee of the Seismological Society of America|
- Nominations for each of the awards shall be requested from the membership via the EERI Newsletter. Nominations for the Outstanding Paper Award also shall be solicited using a check box on the manuscript review form. Nominations for all awards except the Distinguished Lecture Award (DLA) shall be requested in the time interval determined by the Annual Meeting and the third Board Meeting, which usually occurs in August. Nominations for the DLA shall be requested in the time interval between the second annual Board Meeting and the Annual Meeting of the Institute. Applications for the Shah Family Prize are due on October 15th.
- All nominations shall be submitted in written format to the Executive Director and chair of the Honors Committee with the understanding that if nominees are selected for recommendation to the Board then written citations (~ 1/2 page) will be requested. (Nominations for the Outstanding Paper Award shall be forwarded to the Editor of Earthquake Spectra.)
- Upon receipt of nominations, nominators shall receive a letter of appreciation from the Institute, but nominees shall remain confidential pending formal selection and award of the honor.
- Candidates for each award shall be reviewed and selected annually by the Honors Committee for recommendation in confidence to the Board of Directors. The Honors Committee shall meet bi-annually, once at the Annual Meeting of the Institute, and once in September or October, following the third annual Board Meeting in August.
- Conflict of interest and bias in the selection of Honor awards shall be avoided with the utmost of care. Nominees for any of the awards that are also serving as members of the Board of Directors, the Honors Committee, or the Editorial Board for Spectra, shall be precluded from all deliberations concerning the selection of candidates for the award for which they have been nominated. Should preclusion of a Board Member or Committee Chair be required, Board and Committee activities required to nominate and select candidates for the award shall be chaired by an ad hoc chairperson selected by other members of the Board or committee. All oral and written deliberations concerning selection of the ad hoc chairperson and candidates for the corresponding award shall be kept in the strictest of confidence from award nominees.
- See individual page for each award for specific notes on selection process.
- Each EERI honor award shall be announced and presented, if appropriate, at the EERI Annual Meeting.
- Each award together with pictures of the recipients and citations shall be announced in the Newsletter.
- Recipients for each award shall be notified prior to the Annual Meeting by the President of the Institute.
- Citation materials for recipients selected by the Board at their last meeting of the year shall be reviewed immediately by the Executive Director in order that they might be resubmitted to the original authors, if necessary, for improvement in time for printing, framing, engraving (Housner Medal), and presentation at the EERI Annual Meeting.
- Recipients of the Distinguished Lecture award, Special Recognition Award, Honorary Membership, and the George W. Housner Medal shall receive free registration and travel for the Annual Meeting. Travel and other expenses of Outstanding Spectra Paper awardees to attend the Annual Meeting to present their papers will not be paid automatically but will be treated on a case-by-case basis.