Read more about the 2015 Distinguished Lecture
About the EERI Distinguished Lecture Award: The annual Distinguished Lecture Award of the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute is awarded to members of the Institute to recognize and encourage communication of outstanding professional contributions of major importance for earthquake hazard mitigation. The contributions of the recipient and the topic of the Distinguished Lecture should be of broad interest to the membership and may range from research to public policy development. The award is established to communicate developments on topics of major significance for earthquake hazard mitigation.
The recipients will prepare an address on the agreed topic for presentation as the Distinguished Lecture at the upcoming EERI Annual Meeting. This lecture will be subsequently presented as a nationwide series of lectures throughout the year. The lecture may be published in Earthquake Spectra (<20 pages). Each recipient will receive a framed citation and travel costs for presentation of the lecture.
Nomination and Selection Procedures
- Nomination Protocol
- Nominations will be solicited from the membership in the EERI Newsletter and by e-mail. Nominations will be requested before the year’s first meeting of the Honors Committee for the subsequent year’s award.
- All nominations will be submitted in written or electronic format, with a brief justification, to the Executive Director and chair of the Honors Committee with the understanding that if nominees are selected for recommendation to the Board, then written citations (~ 1/2 page) will be requested.
- Upon receipt of nominations, nominators will receive a letter of appreciation from the Institute, but nominees will remain confidential pending formal selection and award of the honor.
- Candidates will be reviewed and selected annually by the Honors Committee for recommendation in confidence to the Board of Directors. The Honors Committee will meet in person or by teleconference at least bi-annually, once before the second annual Board Meeting and once in September or October, following the third annual Board Meeting.
- Conflict of interest and bias in the selection of awardees will be avoided with the utmost of care. Nominees for any of the awards that are also serving as members of the Board of Directors, the Honors Committee, or the Editorial Board for Spectra, will be precluded from all deliberations concerning the selection of candidates for the award for which they have been nominated. Should preclusion of a Board Member or Committee Chair be required, Board and Committee activities required to nominate and select candidates for the award will be chaired by an ad hoc chairperson selected by other members of the Board or committee. All oral and written deliberations concerning selection of the ad hoc chairperson and candidates for the corresponding award will be kept in the strictest of confidence from award nominees.
- Because this award is to be granted each year, a nominee and one alternate will be recommended to the Board each year. Candidates will be selected for recommendation by the Honors Committee at their meeting before the second annual Board Meeting.
- The recipient will be notified by the President of the Institute as soon as possible after their selection.
- The award will be announced and presented at the EERI Annual Meeting.
- The award together with a photo of the recipient will be announced in the Newsletter.
- The recipient will receive
- a framed citation
- publication in Earthquake Spectra upon submission of paper
- travel costs for presentation of the lecture at the EERI Annual Meeting and subsequently at appropriate institutions
- an honorarium in the amount of $2500 for the presentation of the lecture to a minimum of 5 student chapters, in addition to the initial lecture presented at the EERI Annual Meeting
- honoraria for lectures given to societies, organizations or other institutions will be arranged with the host institution
- Citation materials for the recipient selected by the Board will be reviewed by the Executive Director in order that they might be resubmitted to the original authors, if necessary, for improvement in time for printing, framing, and presentation at the EERI Annual Meeting.