The nomination deadline has been extended for the 2023 EERI Honorary Membership! Click here to submit a nomination. The nomination deadline is now July 24, 2022 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
Honorary membership of the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute is awarded to recognize members who have made sustained and outstanding contributions to the field of earthquake engineering and/or to the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute and the pursuit of its objectives. Each recipient shall be announced at the Annual Meeting of the Institute and shall receive a framed citation and lifetime membership with waiver of membership dues.
Nomination and Selection Procedures
- Nominations shall be requested from the membership via the EERI Pulse Newsletter. Nominations can be submitted starting May 1 of each year. The nomination period will be about 1 month long.
- All nominations shall be submitted in written format using an online form. A short justification is required and further documentation is optional.
- Candidates shall be reviewed and selected annually by the Honors Committee for recommendation in confidence to the Board of Directors. The Honors Committee shall meet bi-annually, once at the Annual Meeting of the Institute, and once in September or October, following the third annual Board Meeting.
- Conflict of interest and bias in the selection of awardees shall be avoided with the utmost of care. Nominees for any of the awards that are also serving as members of the Board of Directors, the Honors Committee, or the Editorial Board for Earthquake Spectra, shall be precluded from all deliberations concerning the selection of candidates for the award for which they have been nominated. Should preclusion of a Board Member or Committee Chair be required, Board and Committee activities required to nominate and select candidates for the award shall be chaired by an ad hoc chairperson selected by other members of the Board or committee. All oral and written deliberations concerning selection of the ad hoc chairperson and candidates for the corresponding award shall be kept in the strictest of confidence from award nominees.
- Written justifications for one nominee and one alternate may be recommended to the Board each calendar year. Citations for each candidate will be prepared prior to consideration by the Board by prominent and well-qualified members of the Institute. If no candidates are recommended by the Honors Committee, the Board should be so notified in writing.
- The recipient shall be notified prior to the Annual Meeting by the President of the Institute.
- The award shall be announced and presented at the EERI Annual Meeting.
- The award, together with pictures of the recipient, shall be announced in the Newsletter.
- The recipient shall receive
- a framed citation
- lifetime membership (membership dues waived)
- travel expenses and registration fee for the EERI Annual Meeting
- Citation materials for recipients selected by the Board at their last meeting of the year shall be reviewed immediately by the Executive Director in order that they might be resubmitted to the original authors, if necessary, for improvement in time for printing, framing, and presentation at the EERI Annual Meeting.