In 2019, EERI launched a wildly ambitious campaign to raise $4 Million for a Learning from Earthquakes (LFE) Endowment Fund, at the end of my term as EERI's President. The campaign has been successful beyond our wildest imagination as EERI raised $2.8 million in cash and testamentary pledges to date. With the support of over 250 donors, we have made great strides towards ensuring a bright and robust future for LFE.
In 2023, EERI is celebrating the 50th Anniversary of LFE and the EERI Annual Meeting, in San Francisco in April, is themed around this anniversary. Along with that exciting milestone, the EERI Board has committed to completing our fundraising campaign for the LFE Endowment by raising the remaining $1.2 million towards our goal.
As Chair of EERI’s Fundraising Committee, I’m working with EERI staff and volunteers to realize this goal by launching EERI’s LFE Endowment Completion Campaign. This campaign aims to raise the remaining $1.2 million before the end of 2023 through a combination of one-time cash gifts, multi-year cash pledges, and commitments for planned testamentary/estate gifts.
As we kick off this ambitious effort, I’m asking each member to consider making a 2-3 year final cash pledge at a level that is significant to you in support of EERI and this acclaimed and critical program.
With a fully funded $4million endowment, LFE can respond to earthquakes more quickly, comprehensively, consistently, and with certainty into the future. With this complete permanent endowment EERI will be able to:
- Quickly decide to deploy reconnaissance teams, both after major earthquakes to observe ephemeral damage, and over the recovery time period for topic-focused longitudinal studies.
- Expand opportunities for early career members, such as the travel study program, virtual reconnaissance work, and skill development workshops.
- Conduct regular reconnaissance exercises for improved response and coordination amongst many reconnaissance partners.
- Accelerate the work of our new LFE Reconnaissance Advisory Subcommittees and increase the topics covered.
- Increase staffing support levels to better advance and support volunteers leading all ongoing EERI LFE activities.
I hope you agree that these future possibilities show a bright and promising future for LFE in service of our members and the broader community. As LFE responds to the devastating earthquake affecting Turkey and Syria, the importance of the program’s mission is clearer than ever. Without the stability of a fully-funded endowment however, this vision for a robust LFE program is at risk.
As you consider the type of gift that is possible for you, please contact me (
Thank you for your consideration. You can track our progress and learn more about our campaign here.
M.EERI 1988; Chair, Fundraising Committee