EERI is currently accepting applications for two new Chairs of the Public Policy & Advocacy (PPA) Committee. The PPA Co-Chairs provide oversight and leadership for EERI’s Public Policy and Advocacy Committee.
The application deadline is October 20, 2021 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee, and finalists may be invited to an informal interview with the selection committee. The committee will select two applicants to serve as Co-Chairs of the committee. The final selection of the Co-Chairs is expected in mid November and after 6 weeks of transition, the role begins on January 1, 2022. The Co-Chair serves for two consecutive two-year terms, automatically renewed upon mutual agreement between the Chair and EERI Board.
The selection committee is particularly interested in applicants who:
- Have strong public policy and advocacy experience; current or past involvement with EERI's PPA or its legislative subcommittees is heavily considered in the selection process.
- Have an understanding of and/or strong interest in advancing seismic safety legislation through the political process at the local, regional, state, and/ or federal levels.
- Have demonstrated leadership ability.
- Have a proven ability to link PPA with other EERI committees, programs, and efforts.
- Understand and value the multidisciplinary nature of the PPA Committee.
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Show ability to behave in a professional, member-focused, and service-oriented manner.
- Can co-lead the committee in strategic discussions to determine future directions for the committee.
- Have experience collaborating with the broad spectrum of PPA partners including academics, practitioners, policymakers, aligned organizations/associations, and federal agencies.
The position of PPA Co-Chair is a volunteer position. Applicants must be EERI members in good standing. Chairs must have the availability to be in regular communication with EERI staff, lead regular committee meetings, attend EERI annual meetings, and engage in actively conducting work and determining strategies to position PPA as a lead advocate for policies to enhance community resilience to earthquakes.
More information about the PPA Committee can be found here.
To be considered, please submit a written statement (400 words maximum) and a cv/resume using this form. The written statement should include the following items:
- Why you are interested in serving as a PPA Co-Chair.
- Your experience working in public policy and advocacy.
- Other experiences that you believe align with the desired qualities for PPA Co-Chair (as described above).
- What added value you would bring to the PPA Committee to ensure that its efforts have a broad impact.
- Anything else you would like the selection committee to consider when reviewing your application.
Applications will be reviewed by an Ad Hoc Selection Committee:
- David Cocke, EERI President
- Ayse Hortacsu, EERI Board Liaison to PPA
- Heidi Tremayne, EERI Executive Director and Staff Liaison to PPA
- Chris Poland, Current Co-Chair
- Zahraa Saiyed, Current Co-Chair