The Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI) has an internship position available for recent graduates who are interested in gaining valuable professional experience while supporting the Institute’s mission to reduce earthquake risk. These positions can begin as early as June 30, 2017. Applications should be submitted by May, 31 2017.
EERI’s internships are approximately six-months long, and offer engagement with a number of interesting EERI projects and Institute activities, including Learning from Earthquakes, the School Earthquake Safety Initiative, annual meetings and conferences, and technical seminars and webinars.
Tasks are varied, although day-to-day work focuses on supporting EERI projects and staff through research, project and event coordination, and website development and maintenance.
Internship candidates should have:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, science, architecture, public policy, planning, or a related field
- Familiarity and interest with issues in earthquake risk reduction and community resilience
- Proficiency in Excel and Word
- Basic HTML skills and some knowledge of website development and maintenance (WordPress and Joomla), or willingness to learn
- Skills with graphic design programs such as Adobe InDesign or Illustrator
- Ability to take initiative and independently solve problems
- Curiosity, strong interpersonal skills, and flexibility
- Basic to advanced GIS skills, or knowledge of GIS software (ArcMap, ArcGIS Online) and willingness to learn
The interns will need to work in the EERI office, which means living in the San Francisco Bay Area. (No moving or housing support provided). EERI interns are provided a monthly stipend of $2,200.
EERI Post-Graduation internships are a great way to gain valuable professional experience, to be involved in meaningful projects related to seismic safety and risk reduction, and to make connections with EERI’s multi-disciplinary professional community. The EERI office is conveniently located in downtown Oakland, and is accessible by BART, AC Transit, bike, and automobile.
You can learn more about the EERI Internship program at https://www.eeri.org/about-eeri/post-graduate-internship-program/
Interested applicants should upload a resume, a one-page cover letter highlighting their qualifications and interest in the EERI internship program, and the names of two references to the secure website here: https://www.eeri.org/cohost/registration/internship-application. Preference is given to EERI members. Applications should be submitted by May 31, 2017. New internship positions become available every four to six months.